Friday, June 10, 2011

Surviving the great recession -- career ups and downs

Today I am looking back at the last 3-4 years and marveling at all the career twists and turns I've been through. Layoffs, contract jobs, juggling resumes, networking, taking two steps forward and one step back, more times than I care to count in the last 4 years. All of it in the quest to restore a sense of order, a sense of semi-permanence to my career.

The pessimist part of me says, yes, there's something wrong with you and that is why you've been through all of this. You don't read situations well or there must be some fatal flaw in you why you've been through such a tumultous time in your career. I've spent many days feeling like an Israelite wandering in the wilderness.

But the optimist in me says otherwise (and I firmly believe that we all are a combination of optimist and pessimist...it's just a battle of the wills as to which side wins on a particular day). The optimist in me says, yes it is a setback but you will persevere. You will be stronger and better because of all of these experiences. You will learn how to adapt and change quickly. You will learn how you work best and your unique needs for a healthy work environment ...what that looks like, sounds like and feels like. You will meet people and learn to assess them quickly and whether they will be an ally and an asset to you or whether they are energy drainers and best to avoid. You will say, "bring it on" and mean it. Just see what you can do and know that you will conquer the challenges of this great recession.

For today, I choose to be an optimist and be glad that people are appreciating my work and my efforts. For today, I choose to make a positive impact at work, at home and with my friends and family.

What's your choice today? Glass half empty or half full?

No comments:

Post a Comment