Thursday, April 2, 2009

For those of us who are in this rather common but complicated stage in life of career transition, pre-employment or just plain old unemployment, I hope you are finding hope in little things. A new sense of normalcy is among them. There are some days that I am just thankful that I am calm and not panicked about my employment status.

Several friends have given me leads on networking groups, advice on how to "wing it" when you don't meet all the requirements of the job, or have given me books on careers and searching for a job. All of these people are very well meaning and have the most sincerest of intentions, but it does get old to keep bringing that topic up and having to answer those questions about "do you have a job yet?"

On those days when I feel calm, I begin to wonder if this feeling of being content with unemployment is just my "new normal" and the way it will be for a long time. Can we really live on one income with a family of four and one going to college in the fall? If you ask any of the universities my daughter has applied for, well yes we can.


Three weeks ago I began working on a 12-week contract position. I'm covering for a copywriter who is on maternity leave. I find myself in a strange position, knowing that I am just there for another 9 weeks and yet becoming attached to the job, the people, the short commute, and generally attached to the routine of going to work every day. I have to keep reminding myself that this is just a temporary job and that I have to spend time and energy daily on finding a full-time position. It's been a fun situation so far and one where I feel that the work I do is appreciated. That in itself has been worth doing the job.

Again, if you are unemployed right now, be encouraged that things will turn around. The sun will shine again. One hiring manager told me that "good people will continue to be hired, but it will just take a little longer." I keep hanging on to those thoughts and praying for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment